The Oculus Rift was the VR headset that kick-started the virtual reality revolution again in 2012 on Kickstarter, which is now readily available to purchase within the UK for £400. But how do you arrange the Oculus Rift? With the HTC Vive that includes a whopping 16 elements within the field, the Oculus Rift gives one thing a bit of extra easy. Here’s how you can arrange your Oculus Rift, together with the minimal and required PC specs.
If you are still new to the world of VR, take a look at our complete guide to VR
Minimum & Recommended PC spec
The Oculus Rift isn’t low cost at £400, and also you’ll additionally want a reasonably impressive gaming PC to run it. Oculus has offered advisable specs for getting the “full Rift experience”, which you’ll find under. Don’t be too disheartened in case your PC falls brief, because it’s solely the really helpful setup and never the minimal.
- Nvidia GTX 970 or later/AMD Radeon R9 290 or higher
- Intel i5-4590 CPU or larger
- 8GB+ of RAM
- HDMI 1.three video output
- 3x USB three.Zero ports, plus 1x USB 2.Zero port
- Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or newer
In phrases of the minimal spec required to energy your Oculus Rift VR experiences, you’re wanting on the following:
- Nvidia GTX 960 or higher
- Intel i3-6100/AMD FX 4350 or higher CPU
- 8GB+ RAM
- Compatible HDMI 1.three port
- 1x USB three.Zero, 2x USB 2.Zero
- Windows eight or newer
If it’s something lower than this then you might wrestle to run VR experiences in your PC. However, in case your PC is suitable, proceed on to your setup how-to.
How to arrange Oculus Rift
1) The first step is to clear an space on your headset and extra equipment to take a seat in your desk when not in use. You’ll be switching between the varied strategies of enter (Xbox One Controller, Oculus Remote, Oculus Touch) and because the former two aren’t tracked by the Oculus Rift, you gained’t have the ability to discover them when the headset is on.
2) Once you’ve outlined an space in your Oculus Rift to stay, it’s time to obtain the Oculus Rift setup software program from the Oculus website. Unlike the HTC Vive with its many elements, the Oculus Rift is pretty easy, providing one thing akin to a plug-n-play expertise. The setup will even work out in case you have the required hardware to be able to run the Oculus Rift correctly.
three) Once the setup has confirmed that your PC is as much as scratch, it’ll immediate you to plug in every of the Oculus Rift’s cables – a HDMI cable and two USBs, one for the headset and one for the sensor. While this can be commonplace for PC players, it’s value mentioning that the HDMI cable must be plugged into the graphics card’s devoted HDMI port and never anyplace else.
four) Once you’ve plugged in your headset and sensor, it’s time to arrange the USB three.Zero-enabled sensor. The essential factor to emphasize right here is that there’s nothing obstructing the sensor’s view – if it could’t ‘see’ the headset, you’ll lose monitoring. It’s beneficial to have round 3ft between you and the sensor, nevertheless it’s not that a lot of a deal. Users report having it a lot nearer, some even solely at arm’s size, with no lack of monitoring.
5) Finally, it’s time to hook up the controllers. With regards to the Oculus Touch controllers, you’ll want to carry down the motion button to show them on. They ought to join routinely when you attain the suitable a part of the on-screen setup. The Xbox One controller requires batteries (provided) and easily requires the consumer to plug it in by way of microUSB cable, and push the sync button on each the controller and adaptor.
Et viola! Your Oculus Rift ought to now be arrange and able to go. Not positive which games to obtain first? Take a take a look at our selection of the best games for the Oculus Rift.