The tech world operates identical to the pure one: removing the chaff by means of chilly, unsentimental pure choice. Buying habits, consumer conduct, societal developments, and the ahead march of technological innovation all the time depart a heap of failed or outdated merchandise, corporations, and tendencies in the mud. Whether it is a veteran system struck by the hammer of obsolescence or a brand new superb entry into the Museum of Failure, for some tech it is merely time to die.
We love predicting what tech will meet its demise in the approaching yr, however we do not all the time get it proper. In 2016, we made 11 demise pool predictions. Let’s check out how we did:
1. GoPro. Not fairly. GoPro continues to be releasing new motion cams just like the Hero 6, however its inventory continues to tank as the corporate enters what looks like an extended, sluggish dying spiral.
2. Android Wear. Nope! Android Wear might have a murky future, however it’s not lifeless.
three. Windows Phones. RIP.
four. Twitter, Inc. Hell no, child! Twitter nonetheless loses gobs of cash and may barely run itself competently, however because of our Tweeter-in-Chief, Twitter has turn out to be an addictive dumpster hearth we will not assist stare at whereas slow-roasting our poor souls.
5. The Galaxy Note Brand. Wrong once more. Samsung one way or the other bounced again from its fiery telephone fiasco to launch a reasonably nice Galaxy Note 8.
6. The Barnes & Noble Nook. Somehow, Amazon’s Kindle line hasn’t fairly put the ultimate nail in Nook’s coffin. B&N introduced new $50 tablets earlier in the yr and commenced promoting a brand new line of Nook GlowLight 3s this vacation season.
7. YouTube Red. Nope, still kickin’.
eight. Google Cardboard. Kind of. Google’s DIY augmented reality headset continues to be out there, however Google is extra targeted on the Daydream View because the combined reality area grows crowded with a bevy of Windows partner headsets.
9. Marissa Mayer’s Tenure as CEO. This one was a gimme.
11. Elon Musk. I do not know why we hold placing Elon on right here, nevertheless it stops now. ‘Ol Musky has too many irons in the hearth—Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, Hyperloop, Neuralink, SolarCity—for his tech to die anytime quickly (or ever, if he colonizes Mars). Let the person have his lavish product reveals and fake to be Tony Stark. He’s acquired too many horcruxes to be defeated.
I do not need to throw our earlier tech Nostradamus underneath the bus (as a result of I am going to in all probability be simply as improper a yr from now), however technically we solely went three/11 final yr. Oof, nowhere to go however up. Please, noble commenters, do not be shy together with your opinions on this yr’s picks and people applied sciences you do not assume will survive to see 2018. Now, on to this yr’s predictions.